This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Realtime audio visualization of "what you hear"

Jan 11, 2015 at 7:58 AM
Edited Jan 11, 2015 at 8:00 AM
Hello,

Is that possible with NAudio to visualize the audio just like in the samples, but instead of choosing the audio file, visualizing everything "what you hear" without a significant delay?
Just like the sample is showing the PolygonWave visualization, is that possible for all audio in realtime, so even if I have a music playing, someone speaks on chat and I'm watching a youtube video it's visualizing.

If yes, on what systems would that work and what would I possibly have to use to achieve that? (I'm new to c#)
I'm using Windows 8.1.

Regards
Coordinator
Jan 11, 2015 at 8:02 AM
yes, WasapiLoopbackCapture will capture everything being played on a specific sound device
Jan 11, 2015 at 8:05 AM
Oh, ok.
Thank you :)
Jan 12, 2015 at 2:12 PM
Edited Jan 13, 2015 at 12:37 PM
I created a device with
WasapiLoopbackCapture.GetDefaultLoopbackCaptureDevice()
and a waveStream with new
WasapiLoopbackCapture(device).
It's recording everything being played through my speakers (I tried saving it to a file and it works), but I'm lost, and I can't find how do I add the visualizer to the project, so it reads from the stream, not from the file.
In the demo you are using
var inputStream = new AudioFileReader(fileName);
to start playback and visualization from the file using FftCalculated & MaximumCalculated and other methods, right?
Can't I read from the stream, not from the file?
Do I have to save stream to a file, playback and visualize it with AudioFileReader(), remove, and save again continously?

//edit:
After some digging I found out there's BufferedWaveProvider. I'll try my luck with that.
Coordinator
Feb 20, 2015 at 6:18 PM
yes, bufferedwaveprovider is good for putting recorded audio into a pipeline to be played