This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Detect Microphone in use by other application

Aug 24, 2016 at 11:13 PM
I need to detect when the microphone is in use by another application. Can the naudio library used to detect this? I was thinking of 'listening' for x seconds, determine the level to indicate if it is in use or not

If I try to record in order to detect will the other application still be recording?

Thank you..Jim
Aug 25, 2016 at 4:29 PM
I'm afraid I don't know of a way to tell whether another application is using the microphone. But usually it is possible for more than one application to record at the same time.
Aug 25, 2016 at 4:33 PM
Thank you. I will pursue that. The problem I am trying to solve is that we have a screen saver that activates every minute and that cannot be changed. Doctors are dictating using Nuance Dragon. I was planing on writing a process that wakes up every 50 seconds, records 5 to 7 seconds, figure out if something is actually there to record (volume level perhaps) and if so send a key stroke to the computer to reset the clock on the screen saver
Aug 25, 2016 at 8:09 PM
Wow what a nice library. I get a list of all of the DataFlow.Capture devices. During a 6 second while loop, i record the highest MasterPeakValue for each microphone. if any of them are greater than X, i will assume that they are transcribing and mimic a mouse move to reset the clock on the screen saver.