This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

WhatUHear / Stereo Mix

Jul 8, 2009 at 3:39 PM

Simple question:

Is it possible to get a wavestream of what is currently playing through a device without relying on stereo mix input channel?

Jul 10, 2009 at 12:06 AM

Hi Jansson,

I don't belive so, at least not easily; it's always more difficult to say something isn't so for certain with a question like this.

If you look at an audio recording application, say Audacity for instance, the only way that you can record what is being played out through the sound card is to select a channel which provides the output after it has been mixed and will be streamed to the sound card. i.e. the what-you-hear or the stereo mix input channel.

From my understanding the buffer which the application would be writing to is normally circular, with a read pointer a few positions behind where the data is being written to. Perhaps there is some low level windows programming you could do to pick up the data before it has been overwritten but I've personaly not observed any implementations of that before.

Could I ask what scenario you are trying to solve, where the stereo mix channel is not sufficient?

Cheers,
OpenSebJ

Jul 12, 2009 at 1:11 PM

I don't hade any real practical scenarios I was just researching. I've seen this and was wondering if there was any .NET library that could do it, or something similar:

http://blogs.msdn.com/matthew_van_eerde/archive/2008/12/16/sample-wasapi-loopback-capture-record-what-you-hear.aspx

Aug 31, 2009 at 4:22 AM

OpenSebJ,

How would I go about doing recording what is being played back using the Stereo Mix Channel?

Thanks

Sep 1, 2009 at 12:12 AM
georgiosd wrote:

OpenSebJ,

How would I go about doing recording what is being played back using the Stereo Mix Channel?

Thanks

Please see tutorial 5 for a background and explanation on how you can achieve this;

http://opensebj.blogspot.com/2009/04/naudio-tutorial-5-recording-audio.html