This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Mixing and recording audio

Oct 20, 2014 at 10:02 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to accomplish some tasks, but can't find the appropriate way of achieving this. Hope someone can help me out. I'll try to describe the use case in short:

I've got a server side application that is sending audio to clients. I'm sending audio frames at regular intervals. I'm using MixingSampleProvider for mixing inputs. I then use SampleToWaveProvider16 and try reading a buffer of samples and send these buffers (if available) to the clients. This works without problems.

I also have a WaveMixerStream32 that will use WaveChannel32 and WaveFileReader to mix audio tracks and use MediaFoundationResampler().ToSampleProvider() to get a resampled sampleprovider that I use as input for the MixingSampleProvider. So these audio tracks are correctly mixed and send to the clients.

I also have a class that will recieve audio from clients. I receive this audio by an event that will provide me byte[] of audio on a regular interval.

Now what I'm trying to accomplish is:
  1. Record the audio (in memory) that is received from the clients (it's ok if the audio of all clients is combined in one mixed recorded stream). So I can listen back to the received audio.
  2. Include the audio that is received from the clients to the MixingSampleProvider or WaveMixerStream32 so that it is send to the clients while recording.
So the main question is how can I create en in-memory buffer that contains the received byte[] frames that I receive each interval and connect it to one of the mixers so I can listen to it while recording and when recording is paused?

Hope the usecase is clear, if not let me know and I'll try to elaborate it a bit more.
Oct 23, 2014 at 9:54 AM
The general approach is to use a BufferedWaveProvider (call ToSampleProvider on it if you need to mix it with something), and put audio you receive into that as it arrives.
BufferedWaveProvider can be configured to return a never-ending stream of silence if no audio has been received, which prevents the audio playback from stopping automatically. The NetworkChatDemo in the NAudioDemo application (part of NAudio source code) is a good place to start looking to see how to do this