This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Accessing Individual Mic From a Microphone Array

Aug 14, 2013 at 4:47 PM
Hello Friends,

I have to access individual mic from a mic array for quality purpose.
I am able to enumerate audio capturing devices and also perform loopback capture properly and very easily (Thanks to NAudio ).
But When I enumerate the audio devices I get the following,

Front Mic Array(2 channels)
Now the front mic array has two microphones, and i want to use them individually to test there performance.

Can you please explain How I can achieve this ?
Can I use NAudio for it , if yes How ? if Not what is the alternative?

Thanks
Yogesh
Coordinator
Aug 20, 2013 at 3:23 PM
If there are two microphones it should provide a stereo input, so record them both and throw away the samples from the channel you don't want.
Aug 20, 2013 at 5:43 PM
Thanks a lot for reply Mark.
Following is my data available event

// bwp is BufferedWaveProvider
// wo.init(bwp)

void wi_DataAvailable(object sender, WaveInEventArgs e)
    {
        bwp.AddSamples(Make2Bytes0(e), 0, e.BytesRecorded); // Make2Bytes0(e) -> Makes this pattern 00bb00bb00bb00bb
    }
Here I am eliminating 1 channel by sending 0 on it. But this causes sound from only one speaker ?

I want to test sound recorded by one microphone , by playing it on both the speakers.

This is my first encounter with audio details,

Thanks
Coordinator
Aug 20, 2013 at 7:28 PM
so instead of zeroing the left channel, copy the samples from the right channel. By the way, unless you are working with 8 bit audio, you'll need to treat every pair of two bytes as a single sample
Aug 20, 2013 at 8:24 PM
Hi Mark,
Thanks A lot that did work :) .

But just one last question,
I know that microphone arrays are used to process data from the two mics(Determine direction and enhance the quality and stuff) , so the stream I get while recording is it raw stream of bytes or Processed stream of bytes (Processed as in , does microphone perform any operations on these to enhance them ) ?
Will this affect testing microphones ?

Thanks a lot
Coordinator
Aug 21, 2013 at 1:16 PM
It depends on your soundcard drivers. But I would expect it to normally just give the raw samples without any processing.