How to code circullar buffer to create a delay and used the wavein for micrcophone and output to speaker?

Oct 16, 2012 at 2:52 PM

How to code circullar buffer to create a delay and used the wavein for micrcophone input and output to speaker?

public NAudio.Wave.WaveIn input = null;
        public NAudio.Wave.DirectSoundOut waveout = null;
        public NAudio.Wave.WaveInProvider wavein = null;
        private void button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)

WaveIn input = new NAudio.Wave.WaveIn();
            input.WaveFormat = new NAudio.Wave.WaveFormat(44100, 2);
            IWaveProvider wavein = new NAudio.Wave.WaveInProvider(input);
            waveout = new NAudio.Wave.DirectSoundOut();

Any answer Guys? :)   

Oct 17, 2012 at 1:34 PM

put the audio received into a BufferedWaveProvider and play from that.

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Hi all,

I have seen this topic, and I have a question like the one above. here 

is my code;

private WaveIn sourceStream = null;
            private WaveOut waveOut = null;
            private BufferedWaveProvider bufferedWaveIn = null;
            public WaveIn_WaveOut_TimeShift(int deviceNumberIN, int deviceNumberOUT, int sampleRate)
                sourceStream = new WaveIn();
                sourceStream.DeviceNumber = deviceNumberIN;
                sourceStream.WaveFormat = new WaveFormat(sampleRate, WaveIn.GetCapabilities(deviceNumberIN).Channels);
                sourceStream.DataAvailable += new EventHandler<WaveInEventArgs>(sourceStream_DataAvailable);

bufferedWaveIn = new BufferedWaveProvider(sourceStream);
                bufferedWaveIn.BufferDuration = TimeSpan.FromSeconds(30);

waveOut = new WaveOut();
                waveOut.DeviceNumber = deviceNumberOUT;
            public void Dispose()
                if (sourceStream != null)
                    sourceStream = null;
                if (waveOut != null)
                    waveOut = null;
            public void Start()
            public void Stop()
            private void sourceStream_DataAvailable(object sender, WaveInEventArgs e)
                bufferedWaveIn.AddSamples(e.Buffer, 0, e.BytesRecorded);

How can I add a delay of 15 second for example. I am routing waveIn to waveOut real time. I want to create a delay of n seconds on it.

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Implement an IWaveProvider that in its Read method, just returns empty buffers until a total of 15 * WaveFormat.AverageBytesPerSecond have been requested. Then start returning data from the BufferedWaveProvider.

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Sorry but I think that I could not define the question well.

I am routing waveIn input to waveout device at real time.

Then after I want to listen 15 seconds history so I want to roll back to 15 seconds back and listen history for 15 seconds. (I can loose real time data while listening history). 

I think that BufferedWaveProvider buffers the desired length of data with BufferDuration property.  

So in this case I only want BufferedWaveProvider to provide me a buffer (for waveOut device) that is from history of n seconds instead of latest.

İs this possible?

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:57 PM

you'd need to make your own customised version of BufferedWaveProvider in order to do this.

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Thanks Mark.

Dec 1, 2012 at 5:29 AM

Hi Mark thank you for responding, 

I am newbie to this framework. kindly explain how to do it? your answer was "put the audio received into a BufferedWaveProvider and play from that."

I don't get it actually. please help me for this stuff. 

Dec 6, 2012 at 5:11 PM

in your code sample above, waveOut.Init should take the bufferedProivder not waveIn. That will mean you are playing from you buffered provider.

Dec 7, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Hi Mark again,

I have implemented my won BufferedWaveProvider as you said, and it was successfully worked. First of all thank you for your advice.

I want to ask another question.

I have multiple analog inputs and I have to sum all of these inputs to route the sum to other waveOut devices.

I have created a list of bufferedwaveProviders that each element is serving for each wave input (recording). ( I have to have an ability to return back to n seconds in any time, so I have used bufferedWaveprovider with some editing)

Now I can route one waveIn analog device to waveOut analog device with the help of this bufferredWaveProvider.

And for summing the audios I have coded like the one below. 

private void SumProviders(int length)
                byte[] last = new byte[length];
                byte[] temp = new byte[length];
                int bytesPerSample = 4; 
                for (int index = 0; index < bufferedWaveInProviders.Count; index++)
                    //read wave providers one by one
                    bufferedWaveInProviders[index].Read(temp, 0, length);
                    //add all...
                    for (int i = 0; i < length / bytesPerSample; i++)
                        float sampleTemp = BitConverter.ToSingle(temp, i * bytesPerSample);
                        float sampleLast = BitConverter.ToSingle(last, i * bytesPerSample);
                        sampleLast = sampleLast + sampleTemp;
                        byte[] bytes = BitConverter.GetBytes(sampleLast);
                        Array.Copy(bytes, 0, last, i * bytesPerSample, bytesPerSample);
                bufferedWaveForPlaying.AddSamples(last, 0, length);

I am calling this function on sourceStream_DataAvailable event handler of my waveIn devices for each input.

Here bufferedWaveForPlaying is the buffer that I have initilized my waveOut device with. 

Now I am hearing the mixed audio, but playing speed is too slow? What can be the problem?

Dec 9, 2012 at 8:04 AM

if the play speed is too slow, check your waveformat. For example playing stereo audio as though it was mono can result in playback too slow.

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Hi Again,

I have solved the problem by using WaveMixerStream32 class with some editing.

Another question is I want to send this mixer's output from UDP port to somewhere. (as digital sound)

I have implemented a thread and for each 1000ms, I am sending a block from mixer to udp port.

For each 1000 ms;

my thread is reading a block from mixer by mixer.Read(data,0,block_size)

My block size is : waveformat.sampleRate * waveformat.BlockAlign 

An then send this data to udp port.

On the server side I am receiving this data, but if I play the data, it is too noisy?

What can be the problem?

In adition to this: I have sent an existing wave file like this to udp port, and there is not any problem.  I received and played at the server side. Also I have played the mixer's output by waveout device. The problem is about sending mixer's output by udp(catching mixer's output buffer)!

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:14 PM

I have solved the problem, thanks.

I had to do a 32 to 16 conversion that I have forgetton before sending it from UDP.