This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Broadcast Wave Files

Jul 1, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Firstly, excellent project !

I'm having some problems in playing files with Broadcast Wave File (BWF) data embebbed in.  I get the error in both my own application and the NAudio Demo app.  I get the error "Invalid WAV file - No data chunk found", the file plays fine in other players.

I'm not sure if this is because the BWF chunk is usually before the data chunk.  Looking at the files in RiffPad, I can see that files that play ok have the Data chunk only offset by about 57, whereas ones with BWF data are offset by around 2000 to 3000 bytes.

If anyone wants a demo file, then I'll upload one. 

Thanks

Simon

Coordinator
Jul 4, 2011 at 9:11 PM

I'm afraid there is no official BWF support for NAudio at the moment, although I think someone did submit a patch a while back. If you upload an example file somewhere I'll get a copy of it for when I get round to adding BWF support.

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:07 PM
Hi Mark.
Sorry for the delay. I've uploaded a file that caused the error "Unsupported Extension".
Let me know if there is anything I can do with testing or whatever.
Thanks
Simon
On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 10:11 PM, markheath <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I'm afraid there is no official BWF support for NAudio at the moment, although I think someone did submit a patch a while back. If you upload an example file somewhere I'll get a copy of it for when I get round to adding BWF support.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (naudio@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email naudio@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Feb 1, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Has anything been done with BWF support?  I just came across this problem with Invalid Chunk Length in a bunch of sound effect libraries from Sound-Ideas.

Larry

Coordinator
Feb 1, 2012 at 9:59 PM

sorry, still no BWF support. however I might have some time to revisit this now that 1.5 is out. If you have an example BWF file you can upload somewhere, message me with a link to it, and I'll see if I can find the BWF patch (annoyingly, all the patches got deleted off the codeplex site when I switched to Mercurial)

Mark

Feb 1, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Ok, I will post a couple of files in the next day or so.

Feb 14, 2012 at 7:37 PM
gamesound2000 wrote:

Ok, I will post a couple of files in the next day or so.

Ok here is a file that causes the problem:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38388142/How%20to%20use%20the%20Public%20folder.rtf

Feb 14, 2012 at 7:38 PM

oops wrong file,

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38388142/FIRE%20WhooshFlameLarge%20SBPF1_482.wav

Coordinator
Feb 16, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Hi gamesound2000, that file isn't a BWF file. The problem is that it has an invalid chunk at the end. The message you see is just a debug.assert message. You can click ignore and the app will continue. If you compile in release mode it won't fire at all. Probably NAudio needs to be able to report this type of error in a different way.

Coordinator
Feb 16, 2012 at 10:08 PM

actually, I correct myself, it is a BWF file, just not an RF64 one. I've checked in some refactoring of the code which now won't do the debug assert on your file. It also has some experimental RF64 support (although I have no RF64 files to test it with). The refactoring opens the door for future custom classes to interpret certain RIFF chunks, and also possibly attempt to correct for RIFF chunks reporting their size wrong, by searching for the next thing that looks like a RIFF chunk header rather than giving up.

Feb 24, 2012 at 8:36 PM

So far so good.  Haven't had any problems with files in my sound library (about 1 TB of files).

Larry